This basic pizza sauce has saved me more than once. On those weekends when the kids want a homemade pizza, or whenever I’m low on energy, I use this sauce in a tasty baked dish or pasta. Don’t be discouraged by the idea of making this sauce, it is really easy.
Try This Basic Pizza Sauce That Has Multiple Uses
Gather your ingredients, and let’s get cooking!
I get asked a lot, why make a pizza sauce when you can just buy it? Truly, it’s just about preference. I enjoy cooking, canning, and then using my creations. This process makes me happy and I get to choose what goes into the food, which I feel like I can’t control with store-bought items.
To make this sauce, I used plum tomatoes, lemon juice, dried oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt. You can add more flavor if you want, some good options include dried basil, ground thyme, onion powder, and fennel.
If you are wondering why this process is so easy? I find it particularly quick because the whole procedure can happen in a jam maker. I use the Ball freshTECH Automatic Jam and Jelly Maker, which makes my life much easier.
I love the flavors in this pizza sauce, because it makes it extremely versatile. You can add it to a pasta dish, lasagna, homemade pizza, or in a stew. I also save it for other occasions by keeping it in the freezer for up to one year.
If you do decide to use it immediately, keep it in the fridge for up to a week. Make sure you store it properly in an airtight jar.
Try this basic pizza sauce anytime, it will take you only a few minutes to make, and you’ll have a base for many dishes to come! Let’s make pizza for dinner tonight!
Basic Pizza Sauce
6 1/2 cups (832 g) fresh plum tomato puree
1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Spread half of the tomato puree evenly at the bottom of your appliance pot.
- Cook by pressing the jam button. It defaults to 21 minutes so you’ll need to press the plus button a few times.
- When appliance beeps, press enter button and add the remaining tomato puree.
- Pour in lemon juice, pepper, oregano, garlic, and salt, then cover with glass lid.
- Mixture will be continually stirred by appliance while it cooks.
- Appliance will beep at the end of the process. Press cancel button when it does.
- Unplug appliance and remove glass lid immediately.
- Use pot holder to remove stirrer in pot. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Gently ladle into jars, apply lid then store.
- Can be refrigerated for a week or frozen for up to a year.
- For this recipe, we’ll need a Ball freshTECH Automatic Jam and Jelly Maker.