These classic pickled cucumbers are just what you were looking for this summer. You can make them easily and store them all summer long, for usage whenever you want.
Whether you love hamburgers, pulled pork, or a fresh salad, this is the perfect side dish to go with it.
Make These Classic Pickled Cucumbers For A Great Summer Side Dish
Here’s what you need
First, gather your cucumbers, vinegar, sugar, and pickle mix if available. Then, get your hot jars ready to go.
You will also need a water canner and should start warming up your jars before you start cooking if you plan on storing this preserve for longer than 1 month.
Here’s how you prepare the fresh preserve
To start, cut the cucumbers into small slices. Combine the vinegar, sugar, and the pickle mix if you have it. Mix everything in a saucepan and boil.
You can use this preserve fresh or you can save it by letting the cucumbers cool down in a bowl. Then store them in the jars and close tightly. Store it for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Here’s how to preserve this pickled cucumbers for longer
Your jars should be hot and ready to be used. If they are not, though, make sure to prepare them in simmering water.
Pack the slices into the hot jars, but leave space for the pickling liquid. Once the liquid is in, leave a bit of headspace and remove bubbles.
Remember to process your jars for at least 15-20 minutes, as this prevents spoilage and air bubbles. After the jars are cool enough, let them stand for a few weeks, as this will make the flavor even better.
Now you know how to make fresh classic pickled cucumbers or a preserve that lasts for a long time.
Classic Pickled Cucumbers
2(960 ml) jars
3 1/2 lb (1.5 kg) pickling cucumbers
2 1/2 cups (320 g) sugar
2 1/2 cups (600 ml) vinegar
1/4 cup bread and butter pickle mix
- Slice off cucumbers’ ends and cut it into half inch slices.
- Mix the sugar, vinegar and pickle mix in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pack depending on how long you plan on storing the pickles.
- Up to 3 months of refrigeration
- Pour the hot pickling liquid onto the cucumbers in a bowl and leave it to cool for 30 minutes.
- Pack the slices of cucumber into jars and pour the pickling liquid over the cucumbers. Apply lids and bands on jars.
- Refrigerate. To get best flavor, leave it refrigerated for 3 weeks.
- Up to 1 year of storage
- Simmer jars in water-bath canner.
- Pack cucumber slices into hot jars.
- Gently pour the hot pickling liquid over the cucumbers, ensure a half-inch headspace.
- Wipe jar rim with a clean damp cloth.
- Apply lids and rings, adjust to fingertip-tight.
- Process jars in water-bath canner for 20 minutes.
- Once done, turn heat off then let jars sit for 5 minutes to settle.
- Remove jars and let them cool for 24 hours.
- Test the seal on lids by pressing down on the center, the lid shouldn’t wiggle and must feel nice and solid.
- Any unsealed jars must be refrigerated and consumed first.
- Allow to stand for 5-6 weeks for best flavor.