This freezer-friendly cheese stuffed chicken is a meal that will transport you back home. Whether you had it as a child or not, the comfort this meal brings is perfect for everyone. Plus, you can make it spicy, Italian, or simply country-style, and it will not disappoint.
This Freezer-Friendly Cheese Stuffed Chicken Is Homey and Savory
Sometimes, I add blue cheese too and elevate this meal into something French. Whatever you choose to do, this dish is easy to make and can be changed at any point. Plus, you can serve it with butter noodles, potatoes, rice, asparagus, and mushrooms.
I like to use cooking spray, deli ham, pepper Jack cheese, cornflakes cereal crumbs, dried thyme, salt, pepper, chicken breasts, and butter.
You could swap some of these, with things like turkey, pork, Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, breadcrumbs, dry oregano, and vegetable oil. If you want to, you can even make a creamy sauce to serve on top.
Start by preheating your oven. In the meantime, roll your ham and cheese slices into a tight bundle. This will ensure that the cheese will not leak outside when you start baking.
Mix the cereal, thyme, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Melt your butter, and place it in a small bowl. You will dip the chicken into the butter and crumb mixture. The rolled-up ham and cheese will also go inside your chicken, which should have a pocket in the middle.
Now you are ready to bake everything for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken looks golden and not pink inside.
Let this meal cool down and save it in an airtight container for up to three days in the fridge. You can heat it in the oven when you are ready to eat it.
Freezing and Unfreezing the Stuffed Chicken
To freeze it, place your stuffed chicken in an airtight container, but do not bake it. Save the instructions and label your container. Keep in the freezer for up to six months.
Freezer-Friendly Cheese Stuffed ChickenCourse: Main MealCuisine: Diabetes-Friendly, Heart-Friendly
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
4 slices pepper jack cheese
4 slices deli ham
3/4 cup (96 g) cornflakes cereal, crushed into crumbs
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Coat a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking oil and set aside.
- Put ham slices on a clean surface and top each with a piece of cheese.
- Roll up ham and cheese into a tight bundle. Make sure to completely wrap the cheese so that it won’t leak during baking and set aside.
- Combine cereal crumbs, thyme, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast through the side, make sure not to cut all the way through. Set aside.
- Add melted butter into a small bowl.
- Dip each chicken breast in the butter.
- Coat each of them in the crumb mixture thoroughly.
- Stuff the ham and cheese rolls into the cut pocket.
- Arrange the stuffed chicken breasts in the cooking-oil-coated baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and the juices run clear.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking to try another easy and amazing freezer-friendly meal recipe? Check out these Freezer-Friendly Shrimp Burgers!