These freezer-friendly chicken enchiladas are a staple at home, particularly when I have time to cook and save some for when I do not. I love making this dish because of the sweet and spicy flavors. Try making them soon and you will surprise your family with a delicious treat!
Try These Freezer-Friendly Chicken Enchiladas For A Big Treat Today
As always, start by gathering your ingredients. Go with oil, onions, large peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, chili powder, chicken, tomatoes, pineapple chunks, tortilla wraps, and cheddar cheese.
If you need to replace some of these, you can start with mushrooms, corn, garlic powder, jalapenos, pork, canned pineapple, corn tortillas, and Mexican mixed cheese.
To make your enchiladas, preheat the oven to 365 degrees F. While the oven warms up, you can start cooking the onions and peppers until they soften. Add spices later and cook for another couple of minutes. Finally, you can start adding the chicken and remaining ingredients and simmer for a few more minutes.
You can finish off by dividing the food on all tortilla wraps, roll them over, and fold the edges. You should split the enchiladas and sprinkle the cheese. Bake until they get golden and bubbly.
Freezing and Unfreezing the Chicken Enchiladas
To save these tasty enchiladas for later, follow all steps but do not divide the mixture or bake. You can create individual enchiladas and freeze each one separately on tin foil. Place them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer.
When you are ready to cook your enchiladas, place them in their foil wrap in an oven dish. Bake for 30 minutes or so, until they are hot throughout. Uncover them for the final 5 minutes so they can golden. You can also defrost in the fridge overnight.
Enjoy your freezer-friendly enchiladas with some salsa verde or guacamole any time!
Freezer-Friendly Chicken EnchiladasCourse: Main MealCuisine: Freezer-Friendly
Enjoy the wonderful combination of sweet and spicy flavors that will surely WOW everyone at home!
Prepare 4 servings for now and 4 for the freezer.
16 tortilla wraps
2 lbs (900 g) chicken breast mini fillet
6 1/4 cups (800 g) chopped tomatoes
3 cups (384 g) small pineapple chunks
6 handfuls of grated cheddar
4 large peppers (a mix of orange, yellow, and red), de-seeded, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 onions, sliced thinly
4 tbsp of oil
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp – 2 tsp chili powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
cubed sweet potato
handful of spinach
- Pre-heat oven to 392 F (200 C).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook onions and peppers, stirring often, for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add in the garlic, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and chili powder.
- Cook until aroma is released, about a minute or so.
- Add in the chicken, pineapple, tomatoes and any additions.
- Increase heat and bring the mixture to boil
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Divide among the tortilla wraps. Roll wraps and fold the edges to seal.
- Divide the enchiladas between two casserole dishes.
- Pour in any remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking to try another tasty freezer-friendly recipe? Check out these Freezer Berry Pancakes!