You are not alone if you have never heard of a freezer-friendly creole gumbo, but after you try it, you will never want to stop making this dish! A gumbo is already a wonderful dish that combines all sorts of flavors and aromas, but what if you could save it for later and have it taste just as good? This recipe is perfect for that and more!
A Freezer-Friendly Creole Gumbo That Will Never Disappoint
Why not Creole gumbo for dinner?
To make this tasty gumbo, you will need oil, chicken breast or thighs, smoked sausage or chorizo, onions, celery, green peppers, garlic, Cajun seasoning, thyme, flour, chicken stock, tomatoes, okra, and raw prawns.
If these ingredients are not handy, you can switch things up. Try changing the chicken with some turkey or pork, and the sausage or chorizo for some ground beef. You can also switch the onions, celery, green peppers, garlic, and okra for things like scallions, leeks, red peppers, corn, or carrots. You can add other spices, including chili powder, cumin, oregano, and black pepper. When it comes to the tomatoes, you can swap these canned ones for crushed, stewed, or fresh tomatoes. If you do not like prawns, or can’t find them, try using shrimp or scallops. As for the flour and chicken stock, you can use cornstarch, beef, or vegetable stock.
Freezing and Unfreezing the Creole Gumbo
When you are done cooking everything together, you can let your homemade gumbo cool down completely. To freeze properly, separate the meal into at least two portions, and place them into freezer bags or airtight containers.
To properly use your freezer-friendly Creole gumbo, you should place it in a saucepan and cook over low-medium heat until it defrosts. Continue to cook and add water as needed. Save the prawns or seafood for last so they don’t dry out.
You can serve this yummy gumbo with some cornbread, rice, spring onions, and celery!
Freezer-Friendly Creole GumboCourse: Main MealCuisine: Freezer-Friendly
A delightful combination of sausage and chicken, It’s a dish that you’ll surely revisit again and again!
Prepare 4 servings for now and 4 for the freezer.
4 tbsp oil
8 skinless chicken thighs or 4 skinless breast, chopped into large chunks.
1 lb (450 g) chorizo or smoked sausage, sliced
2 large onions, finely chopped
4 sticks celery, finely chopped
2 green peppers, deseeded, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp cajun seasoning
4 sprigs of thyme
2 tbsp flour
4 cups (approx. 1L) chicken stock
2 lb (900 g) chopped tomatoes
1 lb okra, top and tail removed, sliced into 1 cm pieces
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Brown the chicken and sausage on all sides. Set aside.
- Add a bit more oil if necessary. Cook the onions, celery, and green peppers.
- Fry, stirring regularly until soft. About 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and cajun seasoning. Stir continously for about 20 seconds, until the aroma hits you.
- Return chicken and sausage back to pan, include any juices.
- Add flour, stir to coat everything in the pan.
- Add in stock, tomatoes and okra.
- Increase heat and bring mixture to boil.
- Once boiling, lower down heat and simmer with the lid on until cooked. About 15-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If serving right away, add the prawns and heat for 2 more minutes until they’re cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can’t get enough of Freezer-friendly dishes? Try this freezer-friendly fried coconut rice next!