This freezer-friendly curried fish pie may not be your first choice, but it should be! This recipe is very easy to prepare and can result in various meals that will save you time and effort. You can make one big pot, or individual pots to serve as an appetizer.
Prepare This Freezer-Friendly Curried Fish Pie For A Sophisticated Meal Anytime!
Have you ever made a curried fish pie?
I’ll admit it sounds a bit weird, but a curried fish pie is a subtle meal that goes well any time of the day. To make this meal, gather your ingredients first. These include oil, onions, garlic, curry powder, nutmeg, parsley, butter, flour, milk, green vegetables, lemon, frozen fish pie, and potatoes.
If you need to, consider switching some of these out. You can add other vegetables, such as onions, spinach, mustard greens, or broccoli. You can also add more spices, like turmeric, garam masala, cumin, or paprika. As for the frozen fish pie, if you do not have it available, add whichever fish you like, such as tilapia or cod. If you want to make this dish dairy-free, consider using coconut milk instead.
All you have left to do is cook the vegetables and spices until the aroma is strong. You can start adding the flour, butter, and milk, creating a sort of roux. Then you can add the fish and other vegetables, cooking throughout until it all thickens.
Once your mix is thick, place in individual ramekins or a baking dish and top with mashed potatoes. You can bake it all for 15 minutes, or until golden.
Freezing and Unfreezing the Curried Fish Pie
To freeze your curried fish pie, stop before you bake your pie. Cover the dish with foil and place in the freezer. Once it is frozen, you can wrap it with more foil and label it accordingly. You can also portion it out into individual freezer bags.
To use your frozen pie, bake at 365 degrees F for about 45 minutes, uncovering the dish for the final 5 minutes.
Freezer-Friendly Curried Fish PieCourse: Main MealCuisine: Freezer-Friendly
Give your dinner guests a pleasant surprise with this easy and delicious curried fish pie!
Prepare 4 servings for now and 4 for the freezer.
4 tbsp of oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, grated
4 tbsp medium madras curry powder
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup (56 g) flour
2 1/2 cups (approx. 600ml) whole milk
a handful of broccoli florets
a handful of frozen peas
a handful of spinach
juice of 1 lemon
1.5 lbs (approx. 675g) frozen fish pie mix
5 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed with a generous dollop of butter and seasoning.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F (approx. 200 C).
- Using a large saucepan heat the oil over meadium heat.
- Add in the onions. Cook, stirring often until softened. About 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, nutmeg, curry powder, and parsley. Stir continuously for about 20 seconds or so, until the aroma is released.
- Add butter and flour. Whisk until there’s no dry flour left.
- Stir in the milk.
- Increase the heat and stir frequently until the sauce thickens. Takes about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium then add the broccoli, frozen peas, spinach, lemon juice, and fish pie mix.
- Cover with lid and cook until the vegetables and fish are cooked through. About 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the filling into a deep baking dish, or you can divide them among individual ramekins.
- Top with mashed potato and drizzle with oil.
- Bake until golden. About 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you want the sauce to be a little thicker, on step 9, remove the lid while it cooks.
Looking to try another delicious freezer-friendly dish? Give this freezer-friendly Feta Filo Pie a go!