I never thought I would say that this freezer-friendly fried coconut rice is one of my go-to meals. Now, however, every time I make this, I surprise my entire family for days to come!
Try This Freezer-Friendly Fried Coconut Rice And Wow Everyone At Home!
To start making this rice, I suggest you gather everything you need first. Making this fried rice requires a good mise-en-place. You will need rice, oil, garlic, allspice, thyme, coconut milk, spring onions, chilies, sweet corn, pineapple, coriander, and cashew nuts.
You can use other ingredients if needed, though. Replace the rice with rice noodles, use garlic, allspice, and thyme with ginger, cumin, and curry powder. You can also add corn, bell peppers, chives, parsley, and peanuts.
I like to prepare my rice in coconut milk for a while, which may take about 15-20 minutes. Carefully add the rest of the ingredients, making sure everything fries evenly.
Freezing and Unfreezing the Fried Coconut Rice
Before you add the cashews, set your prepared rice aside and let it cool down. You can then save it in portions in either freezer bags, or airtight containers.
If you are ready to use your fried rice, you can microwave it in batches. Be sure to mix halfway through, allowing for everything to defrost properly. On the other hand, you can add the rice to a saucepan and cook it at a low-medium heat. As the rice thaws, consider adding a little water. Add the cashews last and serve hot!
To make this fried rice more filling, consider adding shrimp, pork, chicken, or tofu. You can also add beans or a fried egg on top! Chop up some parsley and grated ginger for a final touch.
Save this tasty dish for a quick meal, or for an elaborate dinner party. Every time you make this dish, you will pleasantly surprise everyone around you!
Freezer-Friendly Fried Coconut RiceCourse: Main MealCuisine: Freezer-Friendly
This tasty Fried Coconut Rice is an absolute delight and will surely WOW your family!
Prepare 4 servings for now and 4 for the freezer.
5 cups (approx. 600g) long grain rice
8 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp ground allspice
4 sprigs of thyme
3.5 cups (approx. 800ml) coconut milk
8 spring onions, sliced thinly
2 small chillies, chopped finely
5 cups (approx. 600g) sweetcorn
4 cups (approx. 500g) pineapple chunks
6 tbsp finely chopped coriander
2 handfuls unsalted cashew nuts, chopped
- Rinse rice in cold water.
- Using a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, thyme, allspice, and rice.
- Mix well to coat the rice thoroughly.
- Add one and three quarters cup (400 ml) of water. Bring to boil.
- Add coconut milk.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Remove garlic cloves and thyme. Set aside.
- Heat another 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Fry garlic clove, spring onions, thyme, and chillies. Stir continously for about 30 seconds, or until the aromas hit you.
- Add the sweetcorn, coriander and pineapple.
- Fry for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the rice, stir, and season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside half for freezing. Add cashew nuts to the other half and fry for another 1 minute while stirring continuously.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can’t get enough freezer-friendly meals? Why not try this Freezer-friendly Meatloaf?